Question 1: What is the Evidence behind the use of NGT, PPI’s & Octreotide?
Question 2: When would you transfuse blood?
Question 3: When would you want to scope your patient?
To help answering these questions:
(2) NICE: http://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/CG141
(3) How to Identify and Manage Massive Gastroesophageal Hemorrhage:
(4) SGEM#61: Blood on Blood (Transfusion Strategies for Upper GI Bleeds) http://thesgem.com/2014/01/sgem61-blood-on-blood-transfusion-strategies-for-upper-GI-bleeds/
(5) Practical Evidence – Episode 5 – Upper GI Bleed Guidelines
(6) EMCrit Podcast 5 – Intubating the Critical GI Bleeder
(7) Thinking Critical –
(8) emDocs – MANAGEMENT AND DISPO OF UPPER GI BLEED
(9) LITFL- EBM Upper GI Haemorrhage